Monday, February 22, 2010

Breakfast ideas

My hardest meal of the day to stay on track with is breakfast. I like, most of moms, out there, start my day at 5:30, and the thought of eating hasn't hit me yet. I wake Dasher up at 6:20, feed him breakfast, again, I don't want to eat yet, but I know my body needs to start fueling itself. By the time Emmah wakes up, around 8:30 bless her heart, my stomach is making itself known, and Emmah ALWAYS wants the hot breakfasts. You name it, waffles, pancakes, yummy right, well, those aren't the best options for me, so please if anyone has a great "filling" breakfast idea, send it this way. I have tried the mini bagels, blah, I like flavor to my food, and I know there is a healthy way to do it... fruit doesn't last long in our house, but we do have fruit a lot. Please help me. I seem to "fail" for the day when it comes to this meal. The other meals and snacks, NO PROBLEM, but for some reason, this one is not my friend. I have even tried just not eating breakfast, but then I look forward to lunch and usually end of making bad portion choices. Going hungry is no fun and not healthy.... so let's get some menu ideas for the most important meal of the day.. Thanks Heidi

5 comments:

  1. I know I can't be too much help since I had Fruit Loops for breakfast today. :) But, from what I've heard, eating a higher protein, lower carb breakfast is better. Although, you can only take eggs so many days in a row. (I have found that adding a small amount of real bacon bits, cheese and onion salt to the eggs makes a huge difference!)

    One thing I've noticed is that if I can get in a banana or some carrots - something small, yet healthy - as my pre-breakfast, I'm less cranky and more mentally prepared.

    I'd love to hear other ideas too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Jamie said, high protein and low carb is better. I can only stomach eggs so often, so I eat a high fiber cereal pretty much everyday. Not necessarily low-carb, but lots of fiber and it keeps me full. Oatmeal is also good. Blake ALWAYS wants pancakes too, so we do make pancakes on weekends, but I make sure to cook up some scrambled eggs to go with them so I eat fewer pancakes and still get protein from the eggs to keep me full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of Tyler Florence's recipes for "The Perfect Oatmeal." I haven't made his exactly, so I can't testify to its taste, but it sounds yummy and I intend to try it soon!

    Serves 4

    Oatmeal:
    • 1 cup quick-cook oatmeal , Rolled Oats
    • 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
    • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
    Toppings:
    • 1/2 cup applesauce
    • 1 cup fresh blueberries
    • 1 large banana , sliced
    • 1/2 cup shredded toasted coconut
    • Skim milk
    Begin by cooking the oatmeal in apple juice. Pour oatmeal and applesauce into the pot, and set over medium heat. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes until oatmeal is creamy and tender. Stir in cinnamon and butter, and keep warm until ready to eat. Prepare toppings and serve with oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I eat oatmeal almost every day. I know it's good for me and I like it. I prefer steel cut oatmeal. I bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add 1/3 cup of oats. I turn it down and let it simmer for 15 minutes while I get ready for work. My favorite way to eat it is with chopped almonds, some blueberries and Hazelnut flavored coffee creamer for flavor, yummy! Lately I have been having it with 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon, a little brown sugar and fat free milk because I've been trying to follow Weight Watchers and it's fewer points that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love oatmeal, so I will give this a try. Thank ladies. I was just telling Robin that we all need to contribute ideas and stories, whether good or bad, to keep us all going. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete